Apply for Funding
Friends of Lesotho makes a difference in Lesotho at the grassroots level by funding projects considered too small by major donor organizations. FOL projects fall into three categories:
Tuition Assistance Program (TAP)
Since 1990, FOL has provided hundreds of scholarships for Basotho students to attend high school through the Tuition Assistance Program. Current Peace Corps volunteers in Lesotho may apply for TAP assistance through Peace Corps Lesotho.
Peace Corps Partnership Program (PCPP)
FOL funds applications to the Peace Corps Partnership Program, a small grants program administered by Peace Corps that supports community-based applications in Peace Corps communities.
Current Peace Corps volunteers in Lesotho may submit applications for PCPP funding through Peace Corps Lesotho. FOL regularly reviews the PCPP website and considers projects for funding.
FOL also funds applications for small grassroots projects in Lesotho. Recently funded projects include improving sanitation at a primary school, establishing a leather workshop, and numerous efforts to feed, clothe and educate youth across Lesotho.
Small Grants Funding Guidelines
- FOL supports projects that benefit Basotho in the areas of community development, health, education, culture and history and can be completed within one year of receipt of funds.
- The maximum FOL donation per project is $7,500.
- Applicants must represent a registered organization, school, or church and show proof of registration.
- Applicant organizations must have been in existence and registered for at least 2 years or partner with an organization that has been in existence for at least 2 years.
FOL does not fund
- Individual business
- Start-up companies or organizations
- International travel
- Ongoing operational expenses (e.g., salaries, utilities)
Small Grants Application Process
- A completed application, including a detailed budget, is required for consideration for funding. Additional background documents (e.g., organizational strategic plan, business plans) are welcome and may be requested throughout the course of its review of the application.
- Applicant must provide names and email addresses of at least two people in Lesotho who can provide a reference for the organization (e.g., Lesotho government official, NGO partner, foreign embassy personnel).
- Funds are available via wire transfer. The recipient must have a bank account and is responsible for associated wiring fees.